25 Enlightening Studies and Infographics on Genetically Modified Food
One of the issues that affect public health and health administration officials is the concern about the food supply. Food-borne illnesses are very real, and there are worries about what happens when we start tampering with the food supply ourselves. In recent years, the public has become concerned about genetically modified food. Animals and plants are genetically enhanced, cloned and otherwise altered in order to increase yield, resist pests or for other reasons. If you are interested in the public health implications, here are 25 interesting studies and infographics about genetically modified food:
It is possible to genetically modify animals. Some have even eaten genetically modified animals, including cloned animals. Here are some interesting studies and infographics on genetically modified animals:
- Beef: What goes into beef? How does your steak become a steak? This infographic offers a look at how it happens. In some cases, animals are fed genetically modified crops. In other cases, there are modifications to the animals themselves.
- Animal nutrition with feeds from genetically modified plants: A look at the influence that animal feed from GM plants could have on the health of the animals that we eat.
- Assessment of the food safety issues related to genetically modified foods: From meat to plants, a look at the food safety issues associated with GM foods, and different techniques for ensuring safety.
- Scientists could make GM beef with healthy fish oils: A study done at Harvard University shows that it might be possible for scientists to genetically engineer beef so that it is made with healthy fish oils.
- Salmon: Could we see bigger salmon? You can see that a genetically modified salmon is much larger and has more food potential than a normal salmon.
- Genetically Modified Foods: Are They a Risk to Human/Animal Health?: A look at health issues related GM foods, including what using methods to modify animals could do to human health and animal health.
- Human health risk from certain GM fish: A study out of Sweden indicates that some genetically modified fish could actually cause health problems for humans, as well as on the environment.
- Are animals fed GM feed different?: A look at different studies and rulings that indicate that animals fed with GM components might be different from other animals.
We are much more familiar with genetically modified crops when we think of GM foods. From pest-resistant crops to plants that yield more in less space, you might be eating food that has been genetically modified.
- Corn: One of the foods that has been genetically modified for thousands of years is corn. You may not think of hybridization as genetic modification, but it actually is. Here is an infographic about different types of corn, and what they are used for.
- Genetically modified plants and human health: Considers the effect on health that genetically modified plants might have. An interesting overview of the issues related to GM plants and our own health.
- Transgenic Plants and World Agriculture: A fascinating look at how transgenic plants are a part of world agriculture and the advances in transgenics.
- DNA stability in plant tissues: implications for the possible transfer of genes from genetically modified food: Could we begin seeing a transfer of genes from GM crops. An interesting look at the possibilities.
- U.S. vs. Africa Crop Yield: Even though Africa is much larger, the U.S. yields more cereal crops. One of the reasons, argues those in favor of genetically modified foods, is due to the fact that the U.S. does use some GM foods with higher yields. This infographic is part of an argument that GM cereal crops could help alleviate hunger.
- Effect of diets containing genetically modified potatoes expressing Galanthus nivalis lectin on rat small intestine: A look at how these GM potatoes affect rats. Could they affect humans similarly?
- GM Corn Damages Fertility: A study by Austrian scientists found that genetically modified corn could affect fertility.
- Illusion of Care: Regulation, Uncertainty, and Genetically Modified Food Crops: A look at whether or not we really can trust the regulatory system, and concerns about whether GM food crops themselves are safe.
For most of the public, genetically modified foods represent something to be wary of. How we react to GM foods is likely to influence how much they dominate our future.
- Crop Science and Higher Yields: Some consumers like the idea that crop science (including GM foods) could mean higher yields. However, crop science doesn’t have to be all about modified crops. This infographic looks at different options.
- Risks of allergic reactions to biotech proteins in foods: perception and reality: This interesting study looks at how we perceive the dangers of biotech proteins, and some of the realities of the risks they represent for allergies.
- Detrminants of Consumer Attitudes and Purchase Intentions With Regard to Genetically Modified Food — Results of a Cross-National Survey: An interesting look at what is likely to influence the attitudes consumers have toward GM foods, and what might influence their decisions to purchase (or not to purchase) them.
- Do Consumers Really Refuse to Buy Genetically Modified Food?: An interesting look at consumers and GM foods — and at what point they might be interested in purchasing them.
- Genetically Modified Food: This fun infographic from The Onion offers a tongue-in-cheek look at some of the worries that people have regarding genetically modified food. A fun look at an issue that is starting to gain greater prominence.
- Effect of information about benefits of biotechnology on consumer acceptance of genetically modified food: A look at how education about biotech and GM food can impact consumer attitudes toward genetic modification.
- Americans and the World: This looks at different studies showing that American feelings toward biotechnology and genetically modified food are that it could be beneficial in the future.
- Consumer Acceptance of GM Applications in the Pork Production Chain: Looks at the way consumers are wary of GM pork, and considers how to convince consumers of the benefits of genetically modified components of pork production.
- Assuring the safety of genetically modified (GM) foods: A look at the importance of the approach taken when it comes to genetically modified foods in order to assure safety and consumer acceptance.
Did you enjoy this article?