Are you interested in helping people? Do you know what it takes to make tough administrative decisions and direct the efforts of others? Does a career in health care interest you? If so, it might worth considering health care administration. If you are interested in helping others in a health care setting, but aren't sure about becoming a doctor or a nurse, health care administration might be the right career path for you.
It is possible to earn a good salary as a health care administrator, as well as do valuable and important work that helps others. Health care administrators are needed to run the business side of health care. And, with the health care industry expected to grow in the coming years, health care administrators will be in demand -- along with other health care workers, such as doctors and nurses. As you consider your career path, you might want to pay attention to whether or not you might make a good health care administrator. Here are 15 ways to tell if you might be prepared for a career on the administration side of health care:
Knowledge of the Healthcare Industry
As you might expect, in order to be an effective healthcare administrator, you need to have some knowledge of the healthcare industry. Here are some good qualities to have when it comes to the healthcare aspect of administration.
- Do you have a desire to help others improve their health? An interesting in helping others improve their health can be a real asset for those who want to be good healthcare administrators.
- Are you aware of healthcare laws? A good healthcare administrator is up to date on healthcare legislation. It is important to be aware of the different aspects of law and policy. It can also help to be aware of impending legislation, and be aware of the issues surrounding healthcare legislation.
- Are you committed to privacy? Part of healthcare administration is being aware of privacy rules. You need to be aware of the healthcare privacy requirements, and be committed to protecting the privacy of your staff and of your patients.
- Are you interested in healthcare technology advancements? It is also important to keep up with healthcare technology. In order to be a good healthcare administrator, it's important to make sure that you keep up with medical technology, and the latest breakthroughs, as well as keeping up with developments in electronic health records.
- Do you have a basic understanding of health practices? You don't have to be trained as a doctor or a nurse, or other medical care professional to be a healthcare administrator. However, it does help to have a basic understanding of best healthcare practices, and a basic idea of different procedures.
Business and Management Skills
Healthcare administrators do need to have a working knowledge of different business techniques. Business and management skills are a necessity when it comes to any administration job, including those in healthcare.
- Are you capable of managing other people? It is vital that you understand how to manage people effectively. As a healthcare administrator you will be in charge of managing doctors, nurses, assistants, techs and others. Other hospital personnel will also need to be managed. Even if you don't manage different people directly, you will still manage some of the managers.
- Do you have a grasp of systems management? Understanding systems and processes is important for healthcare administrators. Learn how to manage different systems and understand the flow of information and personnel though the system.
- Do you have business skills? Understanding the basics of business is important for healthcare administrators. Take time to learn fundamental business methods, techniques and theories, since these can help you better run healthcare facilities.
- Are you good with money? You don't have to be an accounting whiz, but you should have a fundamental understanding of how money works, and know the basics of money management. Healthcare administrators are also in charge of managing money, and making sure that everything runs on a budget. You will need to have some money savvy to be a good hospital administrator.
- Do you know how to organize? A good hospital administrator is also organized. You should be able to organize information, as well as organize people and money. From organizing work schedules to organizing space within the hospital, clinic, nursing home, or other type of setting, you need to be able to be organize as part of your business skills as a healthcare administrator.
Communications and Relationships
- Are you a problem solver? It is important that you know how to solve problems as a healthcare administrator. Creative problem solving is a must, since you will have to manage different personalities, as well as solve practical problems that crop up every day.
- Are you a leader? Being a leader is important as a healthcare administrator. You need to show respect for others, and be the sort of person that others are comfortable following. Show respect for those you manage, and you will be able to create a positive healthcare environment.
- Can you communicate publicly? In some cases, a healthcare administrator will need to communicate publicly. It is important that you know how to state your case succinctly and know how to stick to the facts. You need to practice your interview skills and public speaking skills.
- Do you know how to develop meaningful and appropriate relationships? Being able to develop meaningful relationships with those you work with is important, but you do need to understand where to draw the line and be appropriate. At the very least, you need to learn how to be personable and approachable so that those you manage know that they can come to you to help solve problems. You also need to be able to communicate clearly and compassionately with patients.
- Are you professional? You need to be professional in your communication with your coworkers, patients and the public. It is a good idea to develop your professional communication skills, and also behave in a professional manner, including doing your work as promised.